Thursday, February 3, 2011

Wine - Apothic Red


During my time as a buyer for one of the busiest restaurants in the US, I had to recreate a wine list with over 150 wines due to the struggling economy. Because Americans started pinching pennies, we knew that the first thing guests would hold back on was buying wine with dinner. My job – find wines that were less expensive that were still great in quality.

I have never liked the term “cheap wine.” Instead, the term “value driven wines” was used during this phase. Taking off wines that ran as high as $80 - $100, we dropped our wine prices to the $25 - $45 range and began selling more wines in bulk to make up the difference in lost revenue. I remember buying wine in gas stations in Bordeaux, France for around 4 Euros ($6.00). The wines were perfectly blended, smooth and satisfying. Wine is wine to some and they may think it is all the same. I like to find different blends and varietals that make wine lists more interesting than those with the normal varietals.

Not too long ago, I tried a value driven wine which my sister recommended call Apothic Red (13% ABV, around $14 a bottle). This wine did not let me down with its aroma of dark chocolate, black pepper and salami. Being a blend three bold grapes (Syrah, Zinfandel, and cut with Merlot), this wine was right up my alley in terms of medium to full bodied reds which I love.

As for the taste, Apothic Red is a little sweeter (but definitely not overly sweet) with ripe rhubarb, plush black cherry and cola flavors with a long lasting vanilla finish. The wine is not your average "cheap wine". It’s different, intriguing, bold, and satisfying. It's a huge wine with a low price.

As for pairings, this wine would go perfectly with braised brisket, grilled or roasted pork and bold cheeses such as bleu or a mouth coating goat cheese. When in the store, don’t go for the most expensive bottle thinking it’s the best. In the end, it may be overrated, overpriced and simply not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment