Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Beer – Le Saint Bock – 'Sacrilege”


So there I was, sitting at the bar at Cheesecake Factory, drinking Ultimate Margaritas on a Monday at 2pm, when I found myself in the midst of a slue of Long Island Teas for $5.00 at happy hour. “What a great deal,” I thought as I sipped away. The music was soft and boring, but the conversation kept my attention in between drinks.

Heading out into the cold early-evening air (around 30 degrees) certainly woke me up as I made my way to Best Cellars with friends where we tasted several wines, including a Cotes du Rhone which I loved. Once the tasting was over, the clerk recommended a few items (beer and wine), but upon snooping around the store, I found an interesting brew from Canada from a brew pub in Montreal.

Le Saint Bock in Montreal, Canada has 20 taps with 5 or 6 reserved for their own brews. The menu is strictly French and the atmosphere is cozy with library shelves filled with interesting beers and a patio outside. All of their brews have a religious context to the names.

As for the beer, Sacrilege ($13.99) comes in a 11.2 oz bottle and is 15% ABV. The beer almost knocked my teeth out. It's black, opaque oil-like appearance made way to a rich, big, oily, black Imperial Stout with an aroma and taste of dark chocolate, coffee, roasted barley with hints of leather, wood barrels, maple syrup and molasses along with tobacco notes. The head was minimal with thinning tan bubbles atop the dark black/brown body. Sacrilege is smooth and flavorful and simply an amazing and unique brew.

It was within half a beer that I had succumbed to the hiccups. I would certainly drink this beer again on a cold, snowy day, but the second time around I would not start with tequila based cocktails.

No comments:

Post a Comment